Hospice care is focused on prevention and relief of suffering, relief of pain and other distressing symptoms, and on easing the stress and burdens that accompany illness. According to medical experts at San Diego Hospice, the goal is to promote an optimum quality of life for patients, their families and caregivers.
Hospice care is provided by a team of experienced healthcare professionals, working with patients and their primary care physicians in determining goals of care and choosing various options to achieve these goals. Hospice care is provided in a patient’s home or wherever a patient calls “home” such as assisted living centers, residential care facilities, skilled nursing facilities and acute care settings.
How Hospice Can Help:
- By managing your physical symptoms and keeping you comfortable
- By providing emotional and/or spiritual support for you and your family
- By helping you with your daily living activities
- By providing information about your care and changes that may occur as your disease progresses
- By providing bereavement support to you and your family
Who Pays for Hospice Care
Most health insurance plans, including Medicare Part A, Medicare HMO, Medi-Cal, TriCare (Champus), senior health plans and private insurances, offer some level of hospice care benefit. Hospice services in most insurance plans include all of the following:
- Visits by the hospice team (routine care)
- Medications related to the hospice diagnosis
- Medical equipment*
- Medical supplies*
- Respite Care
- Inpatient Care
- Continuous/Crisis Care
- Bereavement services
- Physical, speech and occupational therapy*
- Medical care provided by the patient’s attending physician and services not related to the hospice diagnosis, if needed, are handled under the patient’s regular insurance plan.
Individuals or families who are curious about whether hospice care is appropriate for one’s health care needs are encouraged to talk with their health care provider. San Diego Hospice representatives are also available to answer questions and to see if hospice care is the best care for prospective patients. To request services or receive more information, complete an online form or call toll free (866) 688-1600.
*Coverage may vary by insurance carrier.