As a San Diego caregiver, one thing I have learned is that getting legal affairs in order can be easier said then done. Yet, it is sound advice for anyone, especially those caring for a seriously ill family member, relative or friend.
The American Bar Association Commission on Law and Aging for the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization have created a free step-by-step guide to facilitate getting legal affairs in order.
The Legal Guide for the Seriously Ill offers seven key steps to help get affairs in order – for yourself and for your loved ones.
- Plan How to Pay for the Healthcare You Need
- Make a Plan to Manage Your Health and Personal Decisions
- Make a Plan to Manage Your Money and Property
- Plan for the Care of Dependents
- Know Your Rights As a Patient
- Know Your Rights As an Employee
- Get Your Legal Documents in Order
Although geared for the seriously ill, this free guide provides helpful information to assist caregivers and all healthcare consumers in making informed decisions. Take a moment to review the document. Talk with your doctor, financial or legal advisers, and make plans in getting legal affairs in order. Planning ahead can help provide peace of mind for you and for all those you love.